[lug] PCI-X question

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Jul 31 14:35:25 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 10:59 -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
> In the next couple/three months I'm planning on buying a new work
> computer.  I had all the components pretty much figured out until
> yesterday when I realized the SCSI controller I was getting is PCI-X and
> the MBs I am looking at don't have that slot.  As an aside, PCI-X slots
> seem to be extremely rare in single CPU MBs, and none exist for AMD AM2
> MBs best I can tell.  How much of a performance hit will I take running
> the card in a regular PCI slot?  I'm wondering if I should just go with
> SATA drives since I can't make full use of the card's speed.

I don't believe every PCI-X card can run in an ordinary PCI slot.  You'd
want to double check that.

The performance loss should not be *too* bad.  The speed limit of an
ordinary PCI bus is 133 MB/s.  After overhead, about 95, I find.

If you're also running Gigabit Ethernet off the same bus, then things
will get bad.  PCI video cards would cause the same problem.

But if it's mostly all alone on the bus, I'd be happy enough with a 95
MB/s disk speed limit.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>