[lug] Wanted: Help with openvpn

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Mon Aug 7 20:17:09 MDT 2006

>I would say that you should get it working on your LAN first, then see
about moving it off site.  Assuming you're on a 10/24 LAN:

>10.0.0.2 - your computer
>10.0.0.3 - the slug (uses port 1194 for openvpn)
>
>10.0.1.2 - your computer's VPN IP (the tun device)
>10.0.1.3 - the slug's VPN IP (tun device)

I tried that but concluded that openvpn won't work within a LAN because of
conflicting (overlapping or duplicate) IP address. Perhaps I concluded
wrong? I'll try it again if it is supposed to work.

>siegfried wrote:
>[...]
>> When I am at Café Sole:
>>
>> 1. I cannot ping my home desktop machine (10.169.1.8) in routing mode.
Why
>> not?
>
>Because your home router (10.169.6.1) doesn't route between 10.169.6.0
>and 10.169.1.0 is my guess.

Yes but my mask for my home lan is 255.255.0.0. Should that not alleviate
and routing problems? Is there something else I have to set?

>Did you enable IP forwarding?

Yes. It was some cat command to copy "1" to some file in the /proc
directory. It was part of the setup instructions for the slug/openvpn
distribution.

> See
>(especially the two hyperlinks):
>
>http://openvpn.net/howto.html#scope

Yes -- as you can see I added a push command. I did not really understand
this step so I could have gotten it wrong. I tried to mimic the example the
best I could.

Thank you very much!
Siegfried