[lug] Upgrading from FC3 to FC5

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Aug 16 13:34:34 MDT 2006

I'd do a fresh install and then restore the necessary pieces that you have
on the backup you made before beginning this upgrade ;)

Otherwise, I'd try and back up what you can from the current system and
then do a fresh install.

If you want to troubleshoot for learning's sake:
I'd switch it to boot to runlevel 3 and look for the default.xml file in
the theme for gdm (right now the  themes on RHEL 4.4 (because no one
remembers RH 4.x from before) live in /usr/share/themes).

I'm guessing that openvpn was compiled by hand against the old openssl
libraries, so you'll need to recompile that.

Ditto for apache.

The final error though makes me suspicious that your hard drive has some
corruption or is starting to flake.

You might try forcing a fsck on all the partitions.

Hugh

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Gordon Golding wrote:

> I upgraded from FC3 to FC5
>
> When I boot, I get:  Cannot find default them default.xml
>
> Then when I go to log in, the username is grayed out and has ... in it.
>
> The only way to log in is to cancel, then the dialog resets.
>
> When I try to run Openvpn, I get: error loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4
>
> There is a libssl.so.6
>
> Apache won't start - gets same error for:  libdb-4.2.so
>
> Also - I get an error with find:
>
> find / -name libssl*
> find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /selinux: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.
  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.