[lug] Upgrading from FC3 to FC5

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Aug 16 14:17:26 MDT 2006

(Oops... forgot to copy the list on this reply)

Gordon> I upgraded from FC3 to FC5 When I boot, I get: Cannot find
Gordon> default them default.xml

Gordon> Then when I go to log in, the username is grayed out and has
Gordon> ... in it.

Gordon> The only way to log in is to cancel, then the dialog resets.

Gordon> When I try to run Openvpn, I get: error loading shared
Gordon> libraries: libssl.so.4

Gordon> There is a libssl.so.6

Gordon> Apache won't start - gets same error for: libdb-4.2.so

How did you upgrade? Via booting from the CD's and selecting
'upgrade'? or via yum?

Did you have custom installed versions of openvpn and apache that you
built from source? If so, there is no way for the upgrade to know
about them since they are outside it's package system.

You could try re-installing the fc5 versions of those packages:

(first remove them)

rpm -e httpd openvpn

then re-install:

yum install httpd openvpn

Gordon> Also - I get an error with find:

Gordon> find / -name libssl* find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong
Gordon> for /selinux: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver.
Gordon> Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.  Earlier
Gordon> results may have failed to include directories that should
Gordon> have been searched.

That is a normal output from the /selinux directory when you run find
on it. You can can -prune it or ignore that message.

Gordon> Any thoughts on where to start to get things running again?

You could try re-installing packages that are having problems, or you
could just re-install a fresh fc5 install and restore your user data
from backups.

kevin