[lug] where to find initrd files for specific RH kernel?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Aug 21 00:24:13 MDT 2006

It is generated via a postinstall scriptlet within the rpm package.  I
believe the initrd in redhat contains the drivers for ext3 and the
underlying disk device (i.e. don't reboot unless you still have access
to the old kernel).

You can generate one using the mkinitrd command.  On a RH3 AS box (don't
have any WS around), the scriptlet is:

#postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
[ -x /usr/sbin/module_upgrade ] && /usr/sbin/module_upgrade
[ -x /sbin/mkkerneldoth ] && /sbin/mkkerneldoth
[ -x /sbin/new-kernel-pkg ] && /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod
--install 2.4.21-47.ELsmp
exit 0

Hugh