[lug] Installfest next Saturday.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 21 16:31:40 MDT 2006

Nate Duehr wrote:
[...]
> Biometrics would work better for this.  Key encrypted on disk, BIOS
> unencrypts if biometrics match.

I heard a long time ago that biometrics for authentication were a bad
idea.  Identification, sure.  I'd accept them for part of a two part
authentication system.  But they just seem too hard to change if they
get compromised.

[...]
> I guess I "get it" but I don't think it adds as much value as people
> think... ?
>
> Mental note to self: Stop losing laptops.

SANS is pushing hard for encrypted laptop drives.  Every week they have
a story of "lost a laptop with personal info for N people on it" (N >
100k).  But it isn't for everybody.

Dave