[lug] Installfest next Saturday.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 19:12:19 MDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Adams, Scott (FGWA-CO) <Scott.Adams at fgwa.com> wrote:
> Is a set up of a server/firewall possible during the installfest?

Certainly possible if you have a clear idea of what your needs are.

> have set up a simple one using Clarkconnect.  I have no idea what disto
> would be the best and simple to maintain for someone with limited linux
> knowledge. We will take all suggestions and help we can get.

I'll go out on a limb here. I probably sound like a broken record. For
the average inexperienced user with relatively new hardware (ie not an
old pentium with 128M), I can only recommend two choices: Debian
Etch/Testing (if you want support from Dave Anselmi <grin>) or Ubuntu
(if you want a cast of thousands via the excellent  email lists and
forums). The two choices are similar in many respects, but Ubuntu
tries to go the extra mile to make it easier for newbies. I prefer
Kubuntu (KDE) but Ubuntu is fine if you like Gnome. You can also
install KDE or Gnome after the fact with ease in either case.

Personally I've had somewhat poor results with Mandriva, PCLinuxOS,
and FCn. I have no experience with SuSE.

Come and have fun. If you like tinkering with stuff, CLUE installfest
is really a funfest.

--
Collins Richey