[lug] Installfest next Saturday.

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Aug 21 23:12:54 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 8/21/06, Adams, Scott (FGWA-CO) <Scott.Adams at fgwa.com> wrote:
>> Is a set up of a server/firewall possible during the installfest?
>
> Certainly possible if you have a clear idea of what your needs are.

>> have set up a simple one using Clarkconnect.  I have no idea what disto
>> would be the best and simple to maintain for someone with limited linux
>> knowledge. We will take all suggestions and help we can get.
>>

> I'll go out on a limb here. I probably sound like a broken record. For
> the average inexperienced user with relatively new hardware (ie not an
> old pentium with 128M), I can only recommend two choices: Debian
> Etch/Testing (if you want support from Dave Anselmi <grin>) or Ubuntu
> (if you want a cast of thousands via the excellent  email lists and
> forums). The two choices are similar in many respects, but Ubuntu
> tries to go the extra mile to make it easier for newbies. I prefer
> Kubuntu (KDE) but Ubuntu is fine if you like Gnome. You can also
> install KDE or Gnome after the fact with ease in either case.

Why on earth would you want X installed on a server/firewall?  On my
servers the console exists only for BIOS settings and getting a distro
installer to the point of running sshd.

A minimal Debian install makes a beautiful platform for setting up
"server" services or a server/firewall combo.  For a pure dedicated
firewall I'd prefer OpenBSD or hardened Gentoo.

-Ken