[lug] Trouble Making Discs of Fedora Core 5

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Aug 22 18:56:49 MDT 2006

Bill Thoen wrote:
> I'm trying to get a good set of CD's for Fedora Core 5 and seem to be
> having a lot of trouble. I downloaded the iso images from different
> sites over several days (they take hours to download even using a T1
> connection!) and I've burned them on to CD's. So far only disc 5 passes
> the "check CD test"

I ran 5 wgets on my server before I went to bed.  The perceived d/l time
was practically zero.

You can find a checksum for the images you got.  If that passes then you
don't need to do any more downloading.  Looks like there's a SHA1SUM
file the same place you got the ISOs.

You can also do the sha1sum on the CD after it's burned.  Here's a good
place for tips:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

If that passes the "check CD" almost certainly will.

If the sha1sum fails you can try the cdck program to make a graph of
read times per sector.  If there are only a few bad sectors only a few
packages will fail and you can probably get by.

The advice about slowing down the write speed is good, especially if
your media is older.

HTH,
Dave