[lug] Trouble Making Discs of Fedora Core 5

bof bof at pcisys.net
Tue Aug 22 18:29:53 MDT 2006

Bill Thoen wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Is that CD test even reliable?
> When I burn the CDs, I use test-and-write, and that process reports no
> errors. I just don't want to get into the middle of the install and
> have everything stop dead.

I had the same problem and finally ignored the test --- it is well known
in Fedora circles to be so unreliable as to be almost useless, so most
users don't bother with it anymore.  If the MD5 sums are correct, then
the installation should work. However, I did have one FC5 installation
fail on the 4th CD, an hour into it, and there is no graceful way of
recovering from this. Sometimes this happens. Supposedly, the test and a
more graceful way to recover is to be available in FC6.

The advice in the other reply about slowing down the burn rate is good
and I would try that and then go ahead with the installation.

BOF