[lug] Adding kernel to grub via rescue mode

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 20:10:11 MDT 2006

paul nowosielski wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I've upgraded my Suse 9.1 workstation to 10.1 and the kernel freezes
> on boot an d dumps a long
> string of errors.
>
> I can boot to rescue mode however.
>
> How can I add the previous kernel to grub through rescue mode?
>
> Thanks you to anyone who can help.

Rescue will mount the original filesystem somewhere like /mnt/sysimage,
depending on how/what you have. I don't know SuSE, but it'll be
something similar. If you have a /boot, it'll mount that (or you can) on
top of the original mnt's boot directory. If you then cd to the mount
point of it all, the point where your real system would call it "/",
e.g., it might be mounted on /mnt/sysimage/ and you'd cd to
/mnt/sysimage, then you can "chroot .", and it'll think this is the real
root. From there it'll use the actual packages from the real system, so
long as the rescue kernel can use them. You could go to the standard
kernel compile spot and it'd compile. You can install kernels and use
things like mkinitrd correctly. Just be sure that if kernel versions are
used, that you manually make sure you use the name of the kernel you
want to use, not the uname -r (since this might give you the rescue
kernel version and not the one you really want). When you're done, you
just type "exit" and the chroot goes back to the original rescue system
(the chroot goes away).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net