[lug] Re: Trouble Making Discs of Fedora Core 5

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Wed Aug 23 10:12:11 MDT 2006

I wrote yesterday of all the troubles I was having getting freshly
burned CDs of Fedora Core 5 iso images to pass the "CD Test" that starts
off the install. I received only one response "to burn the disc at a
slower speed", but that didn't work. So I checked archives at the
Portland LUG and searched Google... and found the answer.

Apparently, this is a very common problem and has been ascribed to a bug
in the kernel that miscalculates the size of CDs and/or to the files on
some mirror sites being written poorly leaving a block or two of binary
zeros tacked on to their ends.
Anyway, the fix is to include the boot option ide=nodma when the
installer starts and asks you if you want a graphical or text install.
When I did this, all my discs passed the test!

Now I'll proceed with the install and see what else I can trip over....