[lug] DHCP Question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:25:12 MDT 2006

On 8/23/06, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
> I just installed Fedora Core 5 as a workstation using pretty much the
> default settings. This morning the machine was running Windows XP and
> the DHCP connection to the internet was working fine (i.e. all hardware
> and connections were okay.) But for some reason FC5 isn't geting a DHCP
> connection. It recognizes the eth0 card, but seems to hang trying to get
> IP information and then fails to connect.

Is it possible that you have an onboard nVidia NIC (forcedeth driver)?
Use on Windows leaves the card in a state that only a full power down
(not warm reboot) will cure. The symptoms are exactly as you reported.
The card initializes, but then nothing works. Supposedly the very
latest forcedeth driver has fix for this (???), but I don't know about
the state of the driver on FC5.

--
Collins Richey