[lug] DHCP Question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 18:03:05 MDT 2006

On 8/24/06, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
> I take it back, Collins Richey; you were right the first time.

There's got to be a first for everything <grin>

> Apparently, 5 minutes is not long enough to wait before cold-booting. I
> had the machine turned off last night and when I turned it on this
> morning, everything worked perfectly! This machine does indeed have the
> infamous nVidia chip set, and I don't know what "forcedeth" means,

forcedeth (ie forced ethernet) is the name of the open-source driver
for this NIC. Even with its flaws, my understanding is that it works
better than the native nVidia driver for the chip.

> Who'd a thought that Windows could reach back from the grave and mess
> with a system?

It's not really Windows fault. The driver (reverse engineered, I
presume) just didn't cover all the edge cases. Hopefully,this will be
fixed, and you'llsee it quickly in the FCn series. Unfortunately I'm
on Kubuntu 6.06, and I doubt that the developers will considerthisfor
their "stable" release, maybe not even in Debian Etch.

--
Collins Richey