[lug] Bad audio quality in Linux?

Moore, Kevin L. klmoore at ball.com
Thu Aug 24 21:44:24 MDT 2006

Did this happen after an upgrade? For instance upgrading Fedora Core via YUM? If so, try this....

Open your volume control app. Select Edit->Preferences and under Select tracks to be visible check IEC958 and IEC958.2 and then close. Then go to the switches tab in your volume control application and make sure both IEC958 and IEC958.2 are *not* checked.

I had this happen to me and I thought I'd blown my speakers they were so full of static. But I plugged them into a 'doze box and a Solaris box and they were fine, so I investigated and found that the Fedora upgrade had set those switches for me. HTH.....Kevin