[lug] Best Distro for Newbies with New Equipment (was DHCP Question)

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Aug 25 07:12:03 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 21:54 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Hugh Brown wrote:
> [...]
> > I tried Kubuntu but found that I didn't like the sudo approach to
> > system management.
>
> If you add a root password and uninstall sudo aren't you done fixing that?
>
> Dave

I've found that with the way I personally like to do computing, the sudo
root is typically a precursor to a mindset of look but don't touch (okay
we'll let you touch but you shouldn't want to) that I don't prefer.  I
feel the same way about mac os x.  I suspect that the real problem is
that I'm getting infexible in my habits and like things to work the way
that I'm used to (i.e. I don't want to learn the (K)Ubuntu "way" or the
Mac OS X "way" which is what I've found to be required to really
understand how things work).

One of the first things I did was sudo passwd (on a mac and kubuntu).
But overall I felt like Kubuntu was more in my way than it was helpful.
It does seem to be the current distro of choice for a lot of folks.

Hugh