[lug] Best Distro for Newbies with New Equipment (was DHCP Question)

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 17:25:12 MDT 2006

On 8/25/06, Hugh Brown <hugh at math.byu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 21:54 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> > Hugh Brown wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I tried Kubuntu but found that I didn't like the sudo approach to
> > > system management.
> >
> > If you add a root password and uninstall sudo aren't you done fixing that?
> >
> > Dave
>

> I've found that with the way I personally like to do computing, the sudo
> root is typically a precursor to a mindset of look but don't touch (okay
> we'll let you touch but you shouldn't want to) that I don't prefer.  I
> feel the same way about mac os x.  I suspect that the real problem is
> that I'm getting infexible in my habits and like things to work the way
> that I'm used to (i.e. I don't want to learn the (K)Ubuntu "way" or the
> Mac OS X "way" which is what I've found to be required to really
> understand how things work).
>
> One of the first things I did was sudo passwd (on a mac and kubuntu).
> But overall I felt like Kubuntu was more in my way than it was helpful.
> It does seem to be the current distro of choice for a lot of folks.

I'm always amazed at the number of folks who object  to the sudo
setup. The few number of characters difference between 'sudo su -' and
'su -' is not a big deal to me, expecially since i have to use 'sudo
su -' on systems at work where we mostly do not assign a root
password. I would object to the setup if I had to do 'sudo
<pickacommand>' like all the documentation examples, but there's no
need for that.

Different strokes for different folks.

--
Collins Richey