[lug] Drive Imaging between dissimilar drives?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Aug 25 19:27:54 MDT 2006

siegfried wrote:
> I purchased and installed Norton ghost and it did not work.
>
> After talking to Norton Ghost tech support in India over a period of several
> weeks (where, for $30, they tried to fix my problem by logging into my
> machine and downloading partition magic), they now inform me that my
> hardware vendor needs to reflash my bios because my windows XP partition
> extends beyond the end of my disk.

You could get your money back.  Or sell Ghost on eBay.

Oh, you want to use Ghost?  Well, what does your BIOS think about your
disk?  What does the partition table look like?  (Can you sue them for
screwing up your partition table?)

But assuming the partition table is sane except that the last entry is
too big you could just remake the XP partition to end a the end of the
disk.  I'm betting there isn't any data beyond that point.

Oh yeah.  Before you go changing the partitions you should back them up.
  You can use Ghost for that.

Dave

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)