[lug] FC5 Cursor Not Showing

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Aug 28 08:31:59 MDT 2006

Calvin Dodge wrote:

> On 8/26/06, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently set up a new machine with Fedora Core 5, but when I create a
>> new user (or run startx for the first time in the morning) the graphic
>> cursor fails to show. So I reboot the machine and then when I run startx
>> this time the cursor shows normally. The machine's default runlevel is
>> 3, and the text mouse cursor shows up fine.
>>
>> Does anyone know what's causing this and/or how I fix it?
>

> Any chance this is embedded Nvidia?  I've had that problem with it.
>
> It's possible that you can fix this by setting X to use a software
> cursor (no, I haven't tried it yet).
>
> In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, there will be a "Device" section. You might try
> inserting "SWCursor On" in that section, then restarting X to see if
> that solves it.

It's nVidia all right. However, when I add SWCursor "On" to the Devices
section of xorg.conf and reboot, startx fails to work at all,
complaining about 'SWCursor'. I am booting up in run level 3 so I need
to run startx to get the X GUI.)

I've also narrowed the problem down somewhat. The cursor always shows up
fine immediately after a reboot. But if I log out of my X session and go
back to text mode, and then try to startx again, that's where I get the
problem. When I shut down the GUI, I see a screen full of notices or
complaints, and at the end, a note that 'bluez-pin' lost its connection
to the display.

So I suspect that startx doesn't exit cleanly, but I have no idea how to
verify what's really happening or what to do about it. Is using startx
the right way to get a graphic interface? Should I not boot up in text mode?