[lug] API for cdrom low level reading

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 11:54:56 MDT 2006

I was toying with the idea of writing an app to do some significant
testing of cd's, track by track, reading a single track at a time and
doing things such as timing the read. This would not require the SCSI
command set that sits on top of IDE for burning cd's. I'm trying to
narrow down exactly what API I would use, and am wondering if anyone
here knows if there is a linux API layer I could access without dealing
with kernel modules directly, and which is independent of IDE/ATAPI-IDE
in general? The idea being perhaps there is a virtual/logical layer on
top of this that would let me just read tracks from a cd without tying
it to specific protocols, i.e., some sort of abstraction that in turn
has access to the specific device's IDE or other driver. Does anyone
have a suggestion on the most "abstracted" API or API docs for doing
lower level block and track reads on an unmounted cdrom (or mounted but
ignoring filesystem)?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net