[lug] New here, Favorite Distros?

Matthew Snelham infinite at sigalrm.com
Tue Sep 5 15:43:41 MDT 2006

On 05 Sep 2006 01:00 PM or thereabouts, Antonio wrote:
> Hi everyone My name is prekitt, I just found out about this LUG...
> What distributions are you guys running?

Gentoo for my laptop and development (ia64, EM64T) systems.  I like the
flexibility and continuous update process... it's also trivially easy to
set up a local ebuild package overlay for my code, that keeps the continous
rebuild process inside the package manager.  (Full Disclosure: I like this
enough that I've recently become an official Gentoo Dev)

I still run Debian (usually the 'testing' branch) on all of my (boring,
stable, ~300 day uptime) servers though.  Smooth patching process,
continuous updates, and other than the usual monitoring, hands-off
ignorable.

For my *personal* usage patterns, I have yet to find an RPM based distro
that doesn't make me want to shoot myself in the head rather than maintain
it long-term.  For many of my customers, SLES and RHEL are the answers,
mainly because they're so nicely modeled on the commercial UNIX and
Microsoft planned obsolescence cycle that they have built IT and ISV
refresh process around.  (which sounds snarky... and is, a bit.  There are
good reasons to deploy stable lifecycle systems, but they're often
applied over-broadly.)

--Matthew
infinite at sigalrm.com

--
   "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent
    and well informed just to be undecided about them."