[lug] New here, Favorite Distros?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Sep 5 20:33:07 MDT 2006

Matthew Snelham wrote:
[...]
> I still run Debian (usually the 'testing' branch) on all of my (boring,
> stable, ~300 day uptime) servers though.  Smooth patching process,
> continuous updates, and other than the usual monitoring, hands-off
> ignorable.

I've said before that I think continous updates are the way of the
future.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to demo that sometime (in larger
than a small office setting) and write a white paper.

[...]
> (... There are good reasons to deploy stable lifecycle systems, but
> they're often applied over-broadly.)

My gut tells me the "good reasons" are willingness to rely on low
quality software.  Or maybe lack of imagination.

Dave