[lug] Cisco 678 DSL modem free

William D. Knoche Bill.Knoche at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 7 15:55:47 MDT 2006

Well I had been looking for a Cisco but the ActionTec is still runnning after 3
years, too.
If you run an Actiontec in "Transparent Bridging" mode (DSL modem and nothing
more) they seem to work ok.
The other problem that others have complained about are infant mortality (bad
when they got em or shortly there after) and lightning damage and other ESD
(they seem less than robust).
My problem with them is the terrible user interface, the lame fw, and poorly
implemented logging, port redirection, filtering, etc.
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of other choices for any reasonable amount of
money.
The Cisco 678 is pretty robust and while I think painful to config at least it
is documented. Way more flexible and configurable.
I also lucked into buying a couple of the ActionTecs (no rent to qwerst and  a
backup) from folks that were REALLY unhappy with them so paid next to nothing
for them.
Apologize for adding to the dogpile...

--bill