[lug] hardware compatibility note, core2 duo

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 16:10:40 MDT 2006

Just thought I'd drop a "google-able" note (maybe that's tm'd now :P) on
hardware which should be linux compatible, but is not.

I've discovered that most of the newer core2 duo boards use a jmicron
controller, which is listed as SATA2, but it also controls the IDE
channel. Although it appears the bleeding edge stuff is working on this
(found kernel list info presented by Alan Cox), no distro currently can
install on a machine using this. The cd drive works at first, and as
soon as the linux kernel loads, the drive is lost. FYI, the first test
changes for supporting this appear to be in the 2.6.18+ unstable release.

Network install may not work either, because many of these same boards
use a Realtek 8111B Gigabit. Sadly, these too are not supported. No, cd,
no net. You could still install by floppy :P

Other research indicates that there may be ways of supporting these with
enormous effort, and that the average person (even sys admins and
programmers) will not be able to keep their sanity while working with a
board like this. The lesson: Don't buy a core2 duo board without first
verifying that it does not use jmicron/realtek components for
controller/network.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net