[lug] hardware compatibility note, core2 duo

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 11 20:02:20 MDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 04:10:40PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>I've discovered that most of the newer core2 duo boards use a jmicron
>controller, which is listed as SATA2, but it also controls the IDE

My understanding is that most of the current Core 2 Duo boards are P4
boards, possibly without even a BIOS update required.  Because of that, I'm
surprised that you're having problems...  Of course, I try to avoid boards
with Realtek LAN and prefer boards with Intel SATA and Intel Ethernet,
because I've had such good luck with them under Linux.

I found this sharing of motherboards to be annoying, because when I first
looked at it I was having trouble finding boards, because they weren't
listed specifically as C2D.  Going to newegg, I see that the only "Core 2"
motherboards they list as "Core 2 Duo/Pentium 4/Celeron" or the like.

Of course, what I really want is an ATX board for Core Duo without the big,
taller-than-1U audo tower.  :-)

Here's a board that has Intel Gigabit, and AFAICT Intel SATA:

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121046

Lots of Intel boards in that list.  Most of the cheaper ones are using VIA
chipsets, which I avoid.  Lots are using Realtek.

Of course, nothing stops you from dropping an EEPro in there to do the
install, and possibly more...  Whenever I run into a board with LAN that
gives me any sorts of problems, I just drop in a spare Intel card and off I
go.  I've also had fairly good luck with the Broadcom interfaces, as long
as I'm not using VLANs.

Sean
--
 "Fixing Unix is easier than living with NT."  -- Jonathan Gilpin
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/