[lug] Installfest next Saturday.

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Sep 17 22:42:31 MDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:12:54PM -0600, Ken MacFerrin wrote:

> Why on earth would you want X installed on a server/firewall?  On my
> servers the console exists only for BIOS settings and getting a distro
> installer to the point of running sshd.

If by "server" you mean "application server" you would do this.  I do this at
home with one very big, fast and bulky desktop which is tucked away with no
monitor, and then VNC to it with old cheap laptops scattered about the house.
It's also the music and NFS server; I could run the laptops diskless if I
wanted to.  It's a superior way to do it if you want to share computers and/or
work at multiple places in the house.  You can put a lot of effort (RAID, UPS,
etc) into the one important computer and the terminals are basically
throwaway.   Only downside is that video doesn't play well at all for obvious
reasons.