[lug] Reboot hangs

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Sep 18 10:28:48 MDT 2006

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Daniel Webb wrote:

> Do you ever try to reboot Linux and it ignores you?  It seems to happen a lot
> to me in the last year (well, the two or three of the half dozen or so times
> I've rebooted anyway).  Either the 'reboot' command or 'shutdown -h' or 'init
> 6' all fail.  I can look in process list and they're hung, but I don't know by
> what.  NFS?  I have to either just power down (not good), or manually run
> shutdown scripts then power down (in /etc/rc6.d do: for f in *; do ./$f; done)
>
> Have you seen this or know what's causing it?
>
> This is a Debian stable machine with just about everything running on it you
> can think of.

The only time I've had it ignore me was when one of the processes it was
trying to stop couldn't be stopped.

When you run through the scripts by hand, is there ever a time when the
stop script fails?

Can you take it down to runlevel 1 or does it ignore you there too?  Does
it ignore shutdown or just reboot?

What happens if you do an init 6 (instead of a reboot)?

Hugh