[lug] fc and iptables

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 18 20:54:53 MDT 2006

This is an offshoot of trying to get DHCP to work on a backup
machine...have not yet been able to try some of the other things,
although I was able to install outside drivers to at least make the
realtek ethernet show up.

I'm wondering about the notation in fedora/redhat style
/etc/sysconfig/iptables file. There is an abbreviation by which it
abstracts naming of inputs. For example:
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:LOOP-INPUT - [0:0]

I'm interested in the "[0:0]" notation. If I have more than 1 NIC, or
aliases of a NIC, can I use this to differentiate between them? If so,
would 0:0 stand for the main non-alias interface of the first NIC? Would
1:0 stand for the main non-aliased interface of the 2nd NIC? Or would
0:1 stand for the first aliased interface of the first NIC? I can see
quite a potential for customizing based on this, if there is that much
fine control over it. For the moment I'm just interested in making sure
DHCP is allowed on one NIC but not another...or on one IP alias of a NIC
and not the other aliased IP.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net