[lug] FROSUG September meeting announcement

William D. Knoche Bill.Knoche at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 25 16:21:01 MDT 2006

I thought some of you might be interested in this. Sorry for the late notice.
There is a map that came with this but since it was a bit large I didn't forward
it. Let me know if you need the map.

--bill

REMINDER: this is tomorrow night. Don't forget to RSVP!

If you would like to call in we have audio and video conferencing planned:

Go to:
www.raindance.com
Select "join a call"
Then go to:  Reservationless Conferencing
Use conference ID;1536981

There is a slight possibility that we will have phone access only. It depends on
how many people show up for the meeting. If we need to move from the currently
planned location to accomodate more people, you can still call in for an audio
only call:

phonecall:  1-800-531-3250
Conference ID:  1536981

This month we are holding our meeting at a new location. Netsource, Inc.
has offered to host the FROSUG meeting. They are located down south, so
this will give folks who haven't wanted to make the trek to Broomfield a
chance to attend. Of course, we hope all of you that come to our
meetings on the Sun Campus join us too.

This month Lisa Week is presenting pNFS. pNFS is a new protocol
extention to NFSv4 which is being standardized in the NFSv4 Working
Group of the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force).  The pNFS protocol
allows us to separate a NFS file system's data and metadata paths.  With
a separate data path we are free to lay file data out in interesting
ways like striping it across multiple different file servers.  The talk
will go into how this is different from traditional NFS and the benefits
and goals of this technology.

Lisa Week is a Software Engineer at Sun Microsystems.  She started at
Sun in June of 2001 after graduating from the South Dakota School of
Mines and Technology with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer
Engineering.  When she first started at Sun she was in the Data Resource
Management Group working on GUIs and APIs for things like file system
mounts and shares.  Then she went on to develop a CIM/WBEM provider for
management of NFS.  This what got her interested in and introduced her
to NFS and she now works in the NFS group.  Lisa has worked on multiple
different NFSv4 related projects including NFSv4 ACLs (Access Control
Lists) and she currently is a member of the pNFS (parallel NFS) project
team.

Here are meeting details:
Presenter: Lisa Week
Topic: pNFS
Where: Netsource, Inc.
           8020 Shaffer Parkway
           Littleton, CO 80127
When: Tuesday, September 26, 2006
          6:30pm - 8:30pm

Please RSVP by sending your first and last name to rnelson at nsllc.com.
This will help  us know how much food to get in advance.

Here are directions from the Sun Campus:

1. Head northeast from Eldorado Blvd - go 0.1 mi
2. Turn right at Interlocken Blvd - go 0.6 mi
3. Turn right at Interlocken Pky - go 0.4 mi
4. Turn left at Interlocken Loop - go 0.7 mi
5. Turn right at Wadsworth Pky - go 4.0 mi
6. Bear right at Wadsworth Blvd - go 3.1 mi
7. Continue on Wadsworth Byp - go 1.7 mi
8. Continue on Wadsworth Blvd - go 0.1 mi
9. Take the I-70 E/I-70 W/I-76 E ramp to Denver/Ft Morgan/Grand Jct -
      go0.1 mi
10. Bear right onto the I-70 W ramp - go 8.6 mi
11. Take the CO-470 exit 260 to Colorado Springs - go 0.5 mi
12. Merge into CO-470 E - go 9.9 mi
13. Take the Ken Caryl Avenue exit - go 0.3 mi
14. Turn left at W Ken Caryl Ave - go 0.3 mi
15. Turn right at N Shaffer Pky - go 0.5 mi
16. Arrive at 8020 N Shaffer Pky Littleton, CO 80127

William D. Knoche                       Bill.Knoche at Sun.COM
I/O Technologies
Market Development Engineering          Phone:    303-223-4848
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  Fax:      303-223-4848
500 Eldorado Blvd. UBRM05-150
Broomfield, Colorado 80021