[lug] Hosting Question

Ted Logan ted.logan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 14:27:32 MDT 2006

For what you're looking to do, you may be happiest with a dedicated
virtual server. Tummy.com (based in Fort Collins; many of its people
post here frequently) offers Xen-based hosting starting at
US$25/month. I've been using it for almost a year and I've been
pleased. (And I'm not getting any kickback for saying this.)

http://www.tummy.com/Hosting/Virtual/

The server behaves as if it were its own Linux box sitting in a rack
-- except that it's running under Xen virtualization. You have root
inside your own sandbox, and can install and configure everything to
your heart's content. It's a step down from having a dedicated box,
but it's cheaper.

Xen: http://xen.sf.net/

I've also gone the "host-it-myself" route using both DSL and cable,
and it works (usually), but consumer-grade broadband connections
typically have terms-of-service that (officially) disallow hosting
anything, and often force you to change IPs frequently. Consumer-grade
connections are asymetric -- much faster downstream than upstream --
and you have to worry about the hardware failing and the power dying
and your (cat|child|spouse|houseguest) kicking it at the wrong time --
no doubt when you're in no position to do anything about it.

--
Ted Logan
Software Engineer
ted.logan at gmail.com