[lug] Hosting Question

bgiles at coyotesong.com bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Sep 29 15:14:45 MDT 2006

> Consumer-grade
> connections are asymetric -- much faster downstream than upstream --
> and you have to worry about the hardware failing and the power dying
> and your (cat|child|spouse|houseguest) kicking it at the wrong time --
> no doubt when you're in no position to do anything about it.

Don't forget that power supplies can die in a most unfortunate manner,
especially if you're using old hardware that may have highly flammable pet
hair throughout the box.  It's one thing to run them overnight with a
smoke detector nearby, but what about when you're at work?  Vacation?

I also found Comcast to be much less reliable than I first thought.  It's
not a big deal when you're surfing, but flaky reliability going the other
way makes you look like an amateur project run out of some guy's basement.