[lug] Hosting Question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Sep 30 01:00:25 MDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 04:50:40PM -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>Any thoughts on securing rysync over the public nw?

Run it over SSH and protect SSH by doing things like disabling password
access/PAM, etc...  I also like to put it on a different port.

>Or maybe there is another nw backup method/service i could/should be using
>other than rsync?

Kevin likes rdiff-backup, which is a really good way to store incremental
copies of the data.  It uses the rsync protocol to do this, just slightly
differently than how rsync does it.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 "Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors."
                 -- Thomas H. Huxley