[lug] Hosting Question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Sep 30 01:28:37 MDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 04:38:18PM -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>- what kind of real life performance have you gotten using tummy virutal?

I'll just chime in here and say that we run a lot of our own services off
these virtual machines.  They work great.

>- do pages load quickly (are they responsive) and are your sites either
>processor/db or photo (bandwith) intensive?

You can try it for yourself.  http://www.tummy.com/ is running on a virtual
machine.  Up until a few months ago, mirrors.tummy.com was running on a
virtual machine as well, that machine was pushing around a terrabyte of
traffic a month to the public Internet, another few hundred gigabytes to
local machines at our facility.

The only reason we moved off a virtual was that we needed more space and
had a spare machine come available with twice the available disc, but not
enough resources to really make a good virtual host.

>- any idea about object bandwith figures?

Object bandwidth?  The machines are all burstable to 100mbps, so web page
loads tend to be as snappy as the client side can handle.  We do monitor
things closely and if a video gets slashdotted we alert on that and can
shape then.

>- i guess the only limit on the number of domains you can run on the vps
>is based on hw/bandwith/performance requirements - correct?

We place no limits on name-based virtuals or anything of that sort.  So,
yes, you would only run into limits based on the amount of data they store,
or CPU or network they require.

Sean
--
 Electricity travels a foot in a nanosecond.
                 -- Commodore Grace Murray Hopper