[lug] Hosting Question

Jonathan Corbet corbet-bldrlug at lwn.net
Sun Oct 1 07:47:24 MDT 2006

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

> i'm wondering how feasible it is to host a *responsive* 24x7 server from
> home versus colocating or going with a host provider.

Personal experience: one of the best things we ever did was to move LWN
out of my basement and into a hosting facility - and that was even when
it still fit into the ISDN line I had at the time.  It's *nice* to
separate the place the world goes to from the place where you get your
work done - it makes the security and bandwidth issues much easier to
deal with.

As for responsive: you should do better from any decent hosting
provider.  It's not that hard to provide decent server capacity these
days, especially if you have a decent upstream connection.

jon