[lug] 2.6.18 kernel and initrd

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Oct 1 21:37:41 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 10/1/06, Dhruva B. Reddy <bdhruva at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> That seemed to do the trick.  Funny thing is, I didn't have mkinitramfs
>> installed before you suggested it, yet I successfully installed
>> 2.6.17.8.  Anyway, thanks for helping me sort this out.

You probably had the dependency satisfied some other way.  Or maybe it
happened to be a bug--was that kernel from unstable?

> I'm not surprised. The Debian (and Ubuntu) folks just love to drop
> little changes like this into the change log where only the geekiest
> among us will find them. Example: the substitution of vim-tiny (with
> preferences set for ancient vi options) for vim a little while back.

Ubuntu didn't change the vim package (nor any system using it).  They
changed the default install to vim-tiny in the current alpha release.
That's hardly something to complain about.  I'd be impressed they got
that in the release notes this early in the game.

Debian had nothing to do with vim-tiny and my upgrade to 2.6/initramfs
was transparent.

You might try to be more careful with your criticism.  I doubt that this
case applies to most of this list.

Dave