[lug] LVM and software raid

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Oct 2 16:43:31 MDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 02:09:10PM -0600, Nick Golder wrote:
>upgrading from a 2.6.17 kernel (debianized) to a 2.6.17-xen kernel (also
>debianized) and LVM did something strange - the PV Name has changed from
>/dev/md0 to /dev/sdc1 (sdc1 being a member of md0).  The best I can

It sounds like somehow the LVM setup got confused.  You *NEED* it to be
using /dev/md0, not /dev/sdc.  That is probably the reason for your issues.
You may be able to export/import or something similarly clever, but you may
just want to re-create the PV and LV, if there's no important existing data
on it.

I wonder whether you have the /dev/sd[ac] partitions properly tagged as
type "fd" (Linux RAID autodetect).  Check that in fdisk.  That may be why
you're seeing that.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 The only people who have anything to fear from free software
 are those whose products are worth even less.  -- David Emery