[lug] 2.6.18 kernel and initrd

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Oct 2 21:51:17 MDT 2006

Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 at 21:37 -0600, David L. Anselmi soliloquized thusly:
>
>>Collins Richey wrote:

>>You probably had the dependency satisfied some other way.  Or maybe it
>>happened to be a bug--was that kernel from unstable?
>

> No, I didn't use any Debian packages or procedures--I just got the
> kernel source from kernel.org.

Ah.  Well obviously the source doesn't know anything about its
dependencies.  You don't need any initramfs stuff to build the kernel.
(Or to run it for that matter, if you set it up to boot without an
initramfs.)

I assumed that "installed 2.6.17.8" meant the Debian package--apologies.
  In the future you could look at the Debian package to see what it
depends on, or install the Debian package to get all the right dependencies.

I haven't found a pressing need to compile my own kernel since I started
using Debian.  If I did though I'd use make-kpkg or whatever the right
tool is to build a Debian package out of the kernel.  That should be
easier to install and manage.

Dave