[lug] Serial port IR receiver

John Hernandez jph at jph.net
Wed Oct 4 13:35:41 MDT 2006

Folks, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a serial (or USB, I
suppose) IR receiver that can be used with LIRC to accept codes from a
typical universal remote control.  To be clear, I'm not looking for one
that requires a dedicated remote, which appear to be abundant.

I found references to the IRman and IRA-3, but they seem sort of
expensive for what they are.  Other than building my own (which I'm on
the verge of doing, but would rather not spend the time) are there any
suggestions from the group?