[lug] Serial port IR receiver

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Wed Oct 4 13:50:00 MDT 2006

John Hernandez wrote:

> Folks, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a serial (or USB, I
> suppose) IR receiver that can be used with LIRC to accept codes from a
> typical universal remote control.  To be clear, I'm not looking for one
> that requires a dedicated remote, which appear to be abundant.
>
> I found references to the IRman and IRA-3, but they seem sort of
> expensive for what they are.  Other than building my own (which I'm on
> the verge of doing, but would rather not spend the time) are there any
> suggestions from the group?

Yesterday I installed one of these

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5a20/

on my Win-ME mp3 jukebox and it worked right out of the box (thinkgeek
has a link for linux drivers, but I haven't tried them).

As far as universal remote compatibility, that depends on what remote
you use. A learning remote would probably work, but I've been using one
of these

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CONTENTID=11700

for several months and have been very pleased with it. It's the first UR
  I've tried that actually controls my a/v devices the way I want it
too. The only downside is that it requires Win-xx s/w to configure it.

Lori