[lug] HTTP Tunneling

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Sat Oct 7 10:03:45 MDT 2006

You're right of course, but it's a requirement for the school.

I'm not going to loose sleep over the problem.

I guess from my standpoint, it's an interesting technical problem.

Dan

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Dan Ferris wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I have helped a friend set up a DansGuardian Proxy filtering system
>> for her school district in Missouri.  The Firewall blocks all traffic
>> to the internet period.  The only traffic allowed to the net is via
>> the DansGuardian Proxy server.  When I say everything is blocked, I
>> mean everything.  None of the common VPN protocols will work (IPSec,
>> PPTP, L2TP etc), HTTPS will not work, and I'm pretty sure that
>> OpenVPN won't work (I'm not 100% sure about this we would have to test).
>>
>> I'm convinced the only way around the proxy server is via a CGI proxy
>> which we can deal with via DansGuardian, or by HTTP tunneling.
>>
>> So my question to the list is:
>>
>> Does anybody know an easy way to detect HTTP tunneling?  I have never
>> used it before.  At the moment I'm thinking the easiest way is to
>> look for long periods of large data transfers via HTTP.  Am I on the
>> right track?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan Ferris
>>

> The generic rule holds true here; Never try to fix a people problem
> with technology.
>
> If he has kids smart enough to figure out how to tunnel out of his
> network via HTTP, you can block it, but they'll just find another way
> around it.
>
> Policy with real consequences from "management" is the only hope here,
> long-term.  The kids and parents sign an acceptable-use agreement, and
> a serious infraction spells suspension and eventually expulsion.
>
> If he doesn't have policy and consequences covered, nothing else
> matters.  Basic psychology -- people respond only to their perceived
> outcomes, and the outcome of bypassing the school district's network
> setup maliciously or non-maliciously needs to result in dire
> consequences for the student.  (Well, also for teachers if they're the
> problem.)
>
> You're probably on the right track, from a purely technical
> standpoint, but he's not looking at the big picture.
>
> Engineers can build effective blocks and surveillance systems.
> Politicians, Statesmen, Administrators, and rule-makers need to make
> the rules.  Ask them to do so and to back their rules up with real
> actions before you (or your friend) proceed further.
>
> He'll sleep better at night knowing there's a real threat he can pull
> out of his back pocket that will be enforced evenly and consistently
> if he finds someone doing something inappropriate like bypassing the
> mandated proxy server.
>
> (In other words, if management wants the Internet filtered then they
> need to finish the job and decide what will be done if the filter is
> bypassed -- and he needs it down in writing to hand to end-users and
> parents if those end-users are minors.  "Just do it" without backing
> him up is not an appropriate or professional job by the administration
> and he should resist the temptation to think he can handle it -- kids
> [...]

I like to think of Jesus as an Ice Dancer, dressed in an all-white jumpsuit, and doing an interpretive dance of my life.