[lug] bizarre 2.6.18 config message

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Oct 7 18:35:53 MDT 2006

I'm trying to get a plain vanilla 2.6.18 kernel to work on a fully
updated fedora core 5 system. I know my kernel config is wrong, and I'm
going to paste some output below. The part I'm interested in is the
bizarre false claim that the kernel is tainted...this is 100% plain
vanilla right out of the tarball 2.6.18 with no additions of any kind:

Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.
Creating initial device nodes
Setting up hotplug.
Creating block device nodes.
scsi_transport_spi: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem "/dev/root"
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
umounting old /dev
umounting old /proc
umounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

I can't seem to get around it always losing /dev when I upgrade the
kernel, that's probably a config item. But why on earth would it claim
the kernel is tainted when there this absolutely pristine 2.6.18 source
has zero outside sources added? Has kernel.org started packaging tainted
modules that are selectable during build?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

PS: Any hints on why it can never find /dev with newer kernels is
welcome as well...I have the controller and filesystem compiled in or in
a properly supported initrd.