[lug] bizarre 2.6.18 config message

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Oct 8 15:21:13 MDT 2006

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

>Semi-educated comments follow:
>
>On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 00:35 +0000, D. Stimits wrote:
>

>>Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.
>>Creating initial device nodes
>>Setting up hotplug.
>>Creating block device nodes.
>>scsi_transport_spi: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
>>

>Not sure about this.  I thought all modules got a module version by
>default that they could override with MODULE_VERSION.  In the 2.6.17.1
>source I have, the scsi_transport_spi.c doesn't seem to reference
>MODULE_VERSION internally or in any headers.  So I'd assume it was
>getting it from the default module version string (can't remember what
>that is called).  Apparently not, though.
>
>I also thought a kernel was only tainted if the MODULE_LICENSE was not
>an acceptable open source license.  I didn't know a version number
>(missing or otherwise) could cause that message.

Maybe I should turn this in as a bug on kernel.org...not sure they'd
call it a bug though.

>>Creating root device.
>>Mounting root filesystem.
>>mount: could not find filesystem "/dev/root"
>>

>No /dev/root, which means no root filesysstem.  Without the root, you
>can't mount /dev.  This would be my guess as to what is causing all the
>other problems.  Maybe this is because the initrd doesn't have a /dev?

I followed up on this, and did more research as well. One thing I did
was to use cpio and manually unpack and inspect the initrd, and it does
indeed have the dev subdirectory. In earlier working initrd's, there is
no /dev/root, just /dev/<stuff>. In the non-working one, there is also
/dev/<stuff>, and also lacks /dev/root. Research mostly indicates that
this sort of thing is related to missing modules for LVM, but I compiled
LVM directly into the kernel, and the same with libata. The only modules
in the working older initrd's are directly compiled into the kernel in
the 2.6.18 version. The partition itself is not an LVM volume, it's a
plain vanilla ext2 partition for /boot and plain vanilla ext3 partition
for /. ext3 is indeed present in both working and failing initrd's.
Arguments passed in the grub.conf are exactly the same. Examining the
ext3 lines in the initrd's show that all insmod, mkrootdev, so on, are
exactly the same. I'm not certain though where mkrootdev is from, I
don't see it on the system anywhere...if I grep mkrootdev though, the
"nash" program has this in it (at least as a symbol...I don't know if it
implements it).

Guess I'll try to package something up for a report to the kernel list,
since it isn't a distro-specific thing.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net