[lug] "boot floppy" CD creation recommendations

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Oct 9 06:40:06 MDT 2006

I'm trying to figure out how to create a "boot floppy" CD.  By that I
mean a 1.44MB image that I can put into the 'el Torino' boot sector and
boot straight to the HD, same as the floppy rescue disk.

If the system had a floppy drive.

I don't want/need something like 'knoppix' since this should be entirely
automatic and can be keyed to this specific system.  I remember using
syslinux to create the current boot CD two years ago, but I also
remember that process as being painful and creating a high stack of
coasters.

I have grub on the system, so getting to it should be enough.  I don't
know if I can do that via syslinux.

Ideas?

(Why go to this bother?  The bios on this 'server grade hardware',
probably to drive their own $$$ hard drives, does not recognize IDE
drives as bootable disks. )

Bear