[lug] "boot floppy" CD creation recommendations

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Oct 9 18:11:20 MDT 2006

Bear Giles wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to create a "boot floppy" CD.  By that I
> mean a 1.44MB image that I can put into the 'el Torino' boot sector and
> boot straight to the HD, same as the floppy rescue disk.

You don't really need to boot (load the kernel) off the CD.  All you
need is a boot sector that loads LILO that points to the hard drive.
With a floppy that's as easy as telling lilo boot=/dev/fd0.

I don't see anything obvious about doing a CD like that (maybe GRUB has
something to run from CD, I didn't look for that).  But that's all you need.

But there's plenty of info about using ISOLINUX to do what you want.
And you can use any bootable CD as an example.  Just take their config
etc. and edit it to suit and burn it back out.

I've used ISOLINUX CDs as examples for building PXELINUX configs.
They're very similar and not too hard.

Dave