[lug] Getting frustrated with gnuplot

Andrew GIlmore agilmore at wirelessbeehive.com
Thu Oct 12 07:50:27 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 23:00 -0600, Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:06:28PM -0600, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
>
> > R does lovely plots:
> >    http://www.r-project.org/
> >    http://www.r-project.org/screenshots/screenshots.html
> >
> > 3d bar charts, unless your data actually has 3 dimensions, are terribly
> > misleading.
>
> I looked briefly at that page even before I wrote the email, but didn't see
> that it can create contour plots like a topo map.

I've done this with R. I can't compare it with gnuplot, because I've had
the same problem getting gnuplot to do contours. I know I've seen it
suggested that gnuplot can, though.

I will not say that R is great for plots though. Extreme control over
axes and text labels is a real pain.

The attached plot was created with the following R command:

contour(c(2008:2060),breaks[2:19],d,col=terrain.colors(20),
zlim=c(0,40))

d is a sample of modeling results for Lake Powell elevation. :)

I would also say that the colors, etc. on this plot are not great, but
it is an example.

Andrew