[lug] No rename: permissions and ACL's

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Oct 17 10:58:29 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 16:16 -0600, Ben wrote:
> And it works in that people cannot edit the files, or add new ones, etc.
> But they can rename the directory! (mv test2 ben-has-bad-security) How
> can I stop users from doing that? Now, users cannot rename directories
> under test2, so I think the problem is with the permissions of the
> parent directory. But I want users to have rwx access to that directory
> to they can create and delete other directories.

Yes, it is the sticky bit that you want.  This is the mode bit used
on /tmp in Linux.  It allows people to create files in the directory,
but only their OWN files.

Quoted from "man 2 stat":
         The  ‘sticky’  bit  (S_ISVTX)  on a directory means that a file
        in that directory can be renamed or deleted only by the owner of
        the  file,  by the owner of the directory, and by a privileged
        process.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>