[lug] CVS and Subversion

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Oct 20 06:01:47 MDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:24:36 -0600 "Amar Vattakandy"
<amar.vattakandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here use subversion ? I have been using cvs for a long
> time, but thinking of moving to subversion due to the improvements in
> the following areas:
> -directory mgmt.
> -ease of using branches.
>
> I have quickly skimmed the documentation, but before we commit a lot
> of time converting, I was wondering whether someone could help out by
> giving a few thoughts on any pitfalls to watch out for etc (what they
> don't tell you in the subversion manual).

Hi Amar,

The only thing that I ran into (and its pretty minor, in retrospect) is
the way svn does tagging.  Tags in cvs are one-time-only "flags"
attached to a set of files.  In svn, tags are full-fledged branches
and, as such, they can actually be edited/changed over time just like
any other branch (assuming one has the necessary file permissions,
etc.).

Other than that, the tigris.org docs are pretty good.  If you're
comfortable with cvs, learning svn should be a pretty pleasant
experience.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/