[lug] Re: CVS and Subversion

Brennen Bearnes bbearnes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 13:21:03 MDT 2006

"Amar Vattakandy" <amar.vattakandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone here use subversion ? I have been using cvs for a long time, but
> I have quickly skimmed the documentation, but before we commit a lot of time
> converting, I was wondering whether someone could help out by giving a few
> thoughts on any pitfalls to watch out for etc (what they don't tell you in
> the subversion manual).

I don't use subversion, let alone knowing enough to say whether he's
right or wrong, but a friend of mine recently posted a take on it that
has me thinking I'll probably go with something else when I start
using version control One Of These Days:

http://blogs.thegotonerd.com/maelstrom/archives/000658.html

An excerpt:

"(1) SVN has many serious architectural / performance flaws.
Programming on SVN's swig-generated perl bindings over the last 6
months forced me to look them in the eye. They're ugly. I'll list them
off in some subsequent post. The upshot is that SVN won't scale well
to the enterprise level no matter how much snake oil CollabNet pours
on it."

etc.

-- Brennen Bearnes
http://p1k3.com/