[lug] figuring out amanda config

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Oct 29 11:29:33 MST 2006

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:

>i config'd / used amanda to perform backups for a company i worked for
>about 3-4 years ago.  Tape of course.  I guess amanda isn't any better now
>than it was then because my fondest memories were how difficult it was to
>find out how to do trivial things with it.  Generally i recall the
>documentation being very poor.  But i think i recall you can do what you
>want to do.  I just don't remember how though.. maybe someone else on the
>group can shed some light.

I found that a hard drive can be listed as a staging area, but not as a
final backup destination. Restoring requires some sort of index, I don't
want to assume that the intermediate staging area is able to function as
a restore device. In any case, other than the temporary staging area,
amanda does not appear to be able to use a non-serial device.

Documentation is indeed poor, there are pieces that can be solved by
reading the various sample files, but not what I would call "real"
documentation.

>another thought.  why don't you just use soemthing like rsync.  it does
>network backups to drives just fine.  you should be able to script/cron it
>if you want to automate it.

I may have to abandon amanda, but apparently there is some possibility
of using amanda on linux to back up windows (trying to figure this part
out for someone else), and so far as I know rsync is a linux/unix only
method (and if not for that one windows machine I'd gladly abandon windows).

I'm curious if anyone here has ever used iSCSI to do network backups? If
so, what software did you use?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net