[lug] Distribution favorites?

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Fri Nov 3 17:27:42 MST 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 6:28 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
> On 11/3/06, Elyse M. Grasso <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> wrote:
>

> > So... what distros with good KDE support do people recommend?
> >
> > I've downloaded Kubuntu and stuck it in a virtual machine, but the
> > installation feels sort of fluffy and Microsofty. I need to see whether it
> > can get to a more geeky feeling configuration without too much tweaking.
> > --
>
> I must be easier to please. I find Kubuntu quite adequate for my
> needs. I could careless about geekiness.
>
> There are a growing number of Kubuntu users, and Mark Shuttleworth has
> deemed it worthy of ongoing support. Check out the Kubuntu forums and
> lists. My only problem is that 95% of the stuff in Ubuntu land is
> targeted for Gnome.

I think my problem with a lot of the distributions I'm seeing is that I really
despise the way they do admin.

I find the Kubuntu installation which tries to hide the concept of root very
untrustworthy. It makes me wonder what else they have mangled in non-standard
ways that will boobytrap things for someone from a UNIX background.

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology
http://www.astraltrading.com   Divination and Science Fiction